Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Washington DC is so lucky...

  
(Connor in DC @ 11 yrs old ~ Connor opening his DC Mission call @ 18 yrs old)

The day finally came...Connor has been called to serve as a missionary in the Washington DC North Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He will be speaking Spanish and leaves for the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on Wednesday, October 31, 2012 (Exactly 13 days before my due date!).
 

His call came in the mail on Thursday, June 14th, 2012, but he didn't open it until Friday. He decided to open it in front of our Mom and Dad, sisters, and brother-in-laws only and everyone was there except for Mike because he had to work, but we called him and put him on speaker. At first I wanted Connor to open it in front of everyone, but I'm glad he did it the way that he did because it was more intimate. He invited extended family, friends, and church leaders over on Saturday night and reopened it for them. Lots of people came to support him, it was awesome!

Our family went to Washington DC for the 4th of July in 2005. It was one of our best family vacations. I'm so glad our parents took us there. We had so much fun, even looking at history sites. Connor was 11 and told my Mom before we left, "I could live here." And now he will, as a missionary, for the next two years of his life.

Pics of our DC trip 7 years ago: 




I'm so glad Connor is my brother. He grew up with 3 older sisters, or "4 Moms and a Brother" as my Dad would say, and survived. I'm the oldest, he's the youngest; 9 years apart and we still have a great relationship. I remember taking care of him when he was little, going to his sports games (even if they were at 7 am on Saturday mornings), taking him to Walgreens or to get fast food when I could drive, and now he's going on a mission.

 

Before Connor opened his mission call, I told him I had a feeling that he would leave before my baby was born and started to cry. He threw his arms around me and gave me a big hug. It was the sweetest thing ever. I will miss him so much, but am so happy for the decision he has made to serve the Lord, even though he won't meet my child until they are 2 years old. That's what pictures are for! And we will be sending lots of them :) I love you Connor! Thank you for your example. You are loved more than you know XOXO. PS I hope October 31st takes FOREVER to get here...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this made me want to cry. i'm actually really glad you'll have the babe pretty quick after he leaves so we will all have a good distraction :)

Jamie said...

Such a fun trip we had and I am excited for him to get to live there. Appreciate the relationship you all have with each other. I keep crying periodically.

Shay said...

Love this! How crazy that he said he could live there- that is on the top of my list for places to visit!

d.jo said...

Yeah, that's a total bummer he won't meet your baby until she's almost 2. That's also such a fun age, though, and I'll bet they will bond as neice and uncle right away when he gets back.

Washington DC is a totally cool place & I'm glad he gets to go there. He will be a GREAT missionary!