I hadn't seen Mike ALL DAY and I was exhausted. We talked by phone in between my hair appointment and Enrichment and he asked me to call him when I was done. I texted him just after 9 pm and said "Are you ready for me?" And he replied with, "Yeah. Come over. Bring a jacket." Bring a jacket? Okay, that's kind of weird. I didn't really think too much of it. Honest. When I read "bring a jacket" I thought he was going to take me to look at stars because I had just told him a few days before that I always wanted a boy to take me stargazing.
I texted him back and said I had to go home and get a jacket first, then I would be over. He wrote back, "Okay, text me when you're here." I've NEVER texted him "I'M HERE!" when I get to his house. He always knows when I'm coming and I just knock on the door, so I thought it was odd he'd write me that. Still didn't think he was proposing, just thought it was out of the ordinary. So I called him and he answered. He acted normal and I just asked if everything was okay and he said "Yeah, why?" And I said something like, "You've NEVER asked me to text you when I get to your house so I just wondering..."
When I got to his house his brother, Matt, was just leaving. We waved to each other and I walked up to the door. I knocked once and the door IMMEDIATELY opened. Mike had answered the door and he already had his jacket on. I walked in and stood in the doorway and he hugged me and said, "Lets go for a walk." As soon as he said that I KNEW!!! :)
We walked, hand in hand, down the street to the park behind his house. I could tell he was nervous, to the point where I could feel his heartbeat when we hugged and he was breathing louder than usual. It was kind of cute because he knew what my answer would be so he had no reason to be nervous yet he still was!! He started out by asking me how my day was and I told him.We were walking toward the playground set which was in the center of the park. I felt like we were walking FOREVER and I just wanted him to get on one knee and get it over with so his nerves would disappear! Once we reached the sand, he began "THE SPEECH". He started out with, "You know how much I love you, right?" I had the BIGGEST smile on my face and bashfully said "Yes.". Honestly, I don't remember the next few minutes because I WAS NERVOUS AT THIS POINT and I was trying to remember everything he said while anticipating the question ;) We hugged for what seemed like an eternity and then he FINALLY got down on one knee!! Before he could say ANYTHING, I tackled him and hugged him so tight! He said, "LINDSAY! I haven't even asked you yet!" I pulled away from him and said, "SORRY! I'M SORRY!" And then he asked and I said YESSSS!!!! It was perfect.
He didn't put the ring on my finger right away because...well you KNOW why! We were so full of excitement, it was the best moment ever!! After we pulled away from each other, Mike pointed to the sand and I read the words, "WILL YOU MARRY ME?" He had written that in the sand, but I NEVER saw it! It was too dark, plus I didn't think to look down I was looking at him the whole time. He thought I had seen it, which is why he asked when he did. I was SO EXCITED to share the news with EVERYONE, but it was after 10 pm so I couldn't call everyone and their dog like I wanted to :) I asked him who knew and he said both of our Moms did. I wanted to share the news with my parents first, so he took me to their house upon my request! We ran to his truck (I did) and went straight there.
When we got there, I asked Mike to stay in the truck until I gave him the "OK" because I didn't want him and I walking in on my parents in their garments. HAHA! It was late, okay? So he waited while I stood anxiously at the door waiting for Connor to let me in. When he opened the door, I shoved my hand in his face and he didn't even notice my ring! FOR RUDE!! He thought I was punching him and then I said, "I'M ENGAGED!" And he said, "OH, cool!" My Mom was sleeping in the family room in the recliner and I woke her up. I was afraid to wake her, but I couldn't not do it. She was so happy for me and that made me more happy. My Dad was sleeping in his room and I woke him up too! He asked me to turn on the light and hand him his glasses so he could see my ring. Both of my parents were thrilled and it was just awesome. I finally let Mike in and we talked with my Mom for a little bit.
Cassie and Kelly were next on the list! I called Cassie first and she didn't answer. Kelly DID answer and she was so happy for me. Even Cameron called me after Kelly told him the news to congratulate me. I thought that was so sweet! I tried Cassie one more time and she answered this time! It sounded like I woke her up, but I didn't care!! I had the BEST news to share and I didn't want her to feel left out. After I told her "I'M ENGAGED!", she said, "Cool. I'll be more happy for you tomorrow. We're sleeping." HAHAHA!!! Next time I have "good news" I am dragging that child outta bed!! Still love her :) I called my Aunt Liz and then it was off to the Borden's!
Mike and I went and woke up one of my best friends and her husband to share the news. Mitch & Debra Jo got engaged in July of 2004 and were married that September. It was July 9th, late at night, and I was house sitting for a family friend. The house was in a gated community, which Debra Jo & Mitch surpassed somehow, and they came banging on the front door to share their news with me SO I returned the favor :) Except they have 2 boys now, under the age of 3, and I didn't want to wake them so I lightly knocked and the anticipation was KILLING me!!! She didn't answer and there was no way I was going to ring the doorbell, so I called her and SHE ANSWERED! I told her to come to the door and that I was waiting outside. Mike hid behind a pillar while I stood in front of the door. She opened the door and after I told her I was engaged, Mike jumped out and she threw her arms around me. I was SO HAPPY she wasn't mad we woke her up!! For the next hour, we hung out with the Bordens and announced our engagement on Facebook, and texted our friends and family. IT WAS SO FUN!!!
I have to THANK the Borden's big time because if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have ANY pictures of that night.
It honestly was the best night of my life. I was so happy! The proposal happened so fast, I wanted to re live it by the time the night was over!! It's crazy to think we've been engaged for more than 6 weeks now. I feel like it just happened a few weekends ago. I can't wait for my wedding day though, this planning is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! Who said being engaged is fun?!
MAY 14TH IS THE BIG DAY!
9 weeks - 5 days

8 comments:
I'm so happy and excited for you Lindsay! You got engaged on our anniversary! I hope plans are going well. Let me know if you need anything.
I'm so happy for you!!! Congrats!
SO SO SO happy for you guys!!! YAY! :)
It's such a sweet story! It makes me cry. I'm so happy for you & Mike! He's a keeper!
My favorite part is when you tackled him, haha!
What a great story! Funny you didn't even wait. Hilarious! I am so happy for you! I am sure that everything will turn out perfect! Can't wait to see you and meet your new guy! Still think he looks a tad like president monson!
HAHAHAHAHAHA @ Rachel.
love this. so happy for ya
I love your stories Lindsay! And I'm so super happy for you two! Aaaah! It's so exciting! And I'm addicted to my blog now...its not a good thing. lol
I'm almost in tears, girlie...I'm a geek, I know. But I am so happy for you! I felt the same way though, it happens way too fast and I just wanted to relive it over and over! Such a happy night for you! And I agree with DJo...I can totally see you tackling him and I love that about you! Can't wait for the big day!
Post a Comment