Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 22: Tithing

I'm grateful for the blessing of tithing! This is one commandment I have never had a problem with. I probably owe a lot of that to my parents because when I was younger I was REQUIRED to pay tithing first (10%), then savings (50%), then the rest was mine (40%). Okay people, when you're 10 years old and you only made $15 from a babysitting job $6 is chump change after paying tithing and savings. Know what I mean?? I used to HATE saving that much, but in reality it taught me how to be responsible with money and more importantly, it taught me the importance of paying my tithing first. I've always had the attitude that 10% of anything I earn is automatically the Lord's and if you think that way from the beginning it's hard NOT to pay your tithing.

In the Doctrine & Covenants, Section 119, verse 4 specifically states "those who have thus been tithed shall pay one-tenth of all their interest annually". Some question whether that means one-tenth of your gross or net wages. Just this last Sunday we discussed the topic of tithing in Sunday School and a guy in my class said, "My Dad always said do you want "gross" blessings or "net" blessings?" and I thought the teacher, my dear good friend, Jared Peterson, answered it well. He said, "I think tithing is a personal thing and it's between you and the Lord on what you feel is one-tenth of your income." This is true. If you ask a bishop how you should pay your tithing, he won't tell you what to do. Instead, he'll tell you to pray about it and to pay what you feel is one-tenth of your income.

I've never ran into a problem where I had to decide if I was going to pay my tithing first or pay my bills, but I know without a doubt that I've been blessed for faithfully paying my tithing throughout my life. Everything we have is because of the Lord, and all that He asks of us is to pay one-tenth of our income. I think the best part about tithing is that it does not go to bishops or other church leaders as payment for their service; instead tithing is used to fund missionary programs, church materials, education, and the construction of chapels and temples.

Plus, who wants to be burned at the last day?? Not me! (D&C 64:23)

2 comments:

McRae Family said...

so true! Isn't it amazing how when money is tight and you pay your tithing, there always seems to be enough for the bills at the end of the month?

d.jo said...

I don't want to be burned at the last day, either. : ) It's good fire-insurance to pay your tithing. : )

I haven't been tempted to not pay tithing either, but I have definitely seen the blessings that I KNOW would not have happened if I had chosen to not pay my tithing. I have had a moment or two in time where I questioned whether or not I was going to really go through with paying a particular amount of fast offerings, and when I chose to, I was amazed at the immediate answer to prayer I had that day (money related, too), and I have had no doubt ever since of the importance of giving a generous fast offering. My dad says "you can never one-up the Lord", and he's right--the Lord ALWAYS blesses you for following his commandments.