We talked a lot about family, his health, the weather, Cassie's engagement, Aunt Liz, Grammy, and many other subjects. Jack and Don, elderly men who also live there, joined us. Jack liked me and he and my Granddad got along well. Jack knew where St. Johns was and my Granddad's face lit right up!! Granddad immediately began to talk about "Wilbur's Market" and "St. John's Rock Shop". It was a fun conversation.
When I was in Young Women's, I came up with a project that I perhaps took for granted until now. I put together a binder for each grandparent that had a list of questions. Things I wanted to know about them. Their history. Things like what their childhood was like, special things their parents did for them, recollection of their grandparents, dating/engagement/marriage, church callings, embarrassing moments, favorite birthday, favorite vacation, childhood memories, goals they set, special talents, etc. How grateful I am for these books. They are a part of me.
I was reading my Granddad's typed and handwritten memories tonight after I visited with him today. I literally wept. Uncontrollably. The love he has for my Grammy is indescribable.
He writes:
"Corinne came home from school in Tempe for a weekend and I'd been working in the grocery store in St. Johns since my return from Germany. The minute I saw her I was really smitten! From that time on she ran so fast I caught her. She would drive by our house, VERY SLOWLY, to let me know she had returned, or came to the store...Our courtship lasted some six or so months, mostly conducted by letter and phone. She was still going to school and I was still working in St. Johns. At the time, Corinne had long hair, long enough to sit on. It was naturally curly and as gorgeous as it is now. I was always proud to be with her...I could not believe my good fortune when we were married. She was the most intelligent, beautiful creature I had ever been around...Without question, the best thing that ever happened in my life was my marriage to Corinne. If I believed in FATE, I would believe we were fated to be together...when we really got together, there was no question that I wanted her to be mine forever...The bonuses have been our children, grandchildren, friends and an expansion of my ability to understand things and people I'd never have achieved on my own."
His advice to me?
"If anything is to be learned from this, it is that I feel that you'd be well-served to be "in like" with someone before thinking of being in love with them. Of course one needs the romantic feelings, but by themselves they are nowhere near enough to last through the tests of life."
He loves my Grammy with every fiber of his being. I can only hope someday that my future husband will love me as much as my Granddad loves my Grammy.
Life is too short to be mad, angry, or hateful about things that don't matter or have little weight compared to the most important things that mean the most to you. You never know what life will bring. Death, disease, tragedies, and heartache can happen in the blink of an eye. Forgiveness is not easy, but necessary. Love beyond measure and treasure the memories you have with loved ones because before you know it, your Granddad or Grammy won't recognize you or even remember your name.
I'm grateful for the Plan of Salvation. Besides the Gift of the Holy Ghost, to me, the Plan of Salvation is the most precious gift. Because one day my Granddad and Grammy will be together forever and they will call me by name and it will be wonderful.

5 comments:
What a great post. I LOVED that you asked your grandparents all those questions while you were in YW. What a special book you have now! I had no idea uncle frank is now in a home. Very sad. Too bad he and Aunt Corrine can't be together in the same home! I need to find out where he is and go see him! Thanks for sharing lindsey!
Awesome post chippa. I also think it was such a great idea to create those books for each of your grandparents. Now you will always cherish that binder with all those wonderful memories!!
This made me cry! Too sweet. I miss Grammy :(
Sweetest post Lindsay. I can tell you that it was my great fortune to have him as my dad. He was and is . . . . simply the best. Thank you for this and for visiting him on your own, without my having to ask.
I've heard that once before, that you should make sure that you "like" the person you marry, or to make sure they're likable, because something might happen where their personality helps pull you through your relationship. There was a lady who lost her memory after an accident and she didn't remember her husband, but she was so glad she liked who he was & they stayed married.
Your grandparents are "likable" people, and you certainly are, too. One day they'll not only call you by name, but they'll also thank you for visiting them when their times were tough. Love you, Lins!
Post a Comment