
My family and I are
HUGE ASU Sun Devil fans and my parents have had season tickets in the same spot since the '80s. Every year, Arizona and Arizona State play and of course they are rivals so the game is always good. My Dad, Connor, and Cassie and I got to go this year. My Mom was ill with a fever (I hope I didn't give it to her!) and we were so bummed she couldn't go, especially my Dad. My grandfather came, as well as my Uncle Thom & Aunt Lena and their son Chance. They sat in the row behind us.

The game was last Saturday. We stayed for the entire game and every second was intense! It was warm that day, but it was a good day to play and watch some football!! U of A scored first and ASU was down 14-0 at halftime. It was not looking good for the Devils, especially after missing a field goal. Plus ASU had penalties up the wazoo, it was ridiculous! And U of A would call time outs after ASU had the ball and were already in position. People sitting around us would yell "CHEATERS", it was funny.
Our hopes were high after halftime, hoping our Devils would pull through! Midway through the 3rd quarter, ASU
FINALLY kicks a field goal and makes it this time. WHEW! 14-3 Wildcats. Okay, so where are the touchdowns?!
Danny Sullivan comes in...the sucky QB, no offense. Our nerves are shot! He did
GREAT though.
4th qtr, 12 mins to go, ASU has the ball and scores after a seven-play, 96-yard drive. We're cheering!!! Jumping up and down!! 14-10 Wildcats. I don't remember the specifics, but somehow U of A scores another field goal, so now it's 17-10 Wildcats. No sweat, just gotta score a touchdown to tie it.
WE CAN DO THIS!
ASU has the ball, gets all the way down to U of A's 2nd-yard line, and
SCORES!!! We're screaming like lunatics, high-fiving going on all over the place, U of A fans booing...wait a minute...whistle???...NOOOOO...Referee "Holding, # blah blah blah on the offense, 10-yard penalty, repeat 4th down."
ANOTHER PENALTY!!!! C'MON ASU!!!!! Now it's 4th-and-12. You have got to be kidding me. I instantly told Cassie, "We're not going to win." I couldn't watch, I was so nervous.
4th-and-12, U of A's 14-yard line, QB Sullivan rolls out of the pocket and
FIRES the ball to Kyle Williams who dives for the ball.
TOUCHDOWN!!! The crowd goes wild!!!!!
AAGGHHH!!! 17-17!
WE'RE TIED!!!!!! What an awesome feeling.

U of A gets the ball and we stop them. And then came disaster for ASU. Before this unfortunate, tragic event happened, my Dad leaned over to Connor and I and said "ASU is known for their specials teams to make mistakes...". Not even minutes after he says this, U of A punts to ASU with 2 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. All ASU needed to do was get down the field close enough to score a field goal to win it. And what happens? Kyle Williams, the same Kyle Williams who just scored the last touchdown to tie the game, muffed the punt, the ball hits the ground and bounces back up hitting his shoulder and helmet, and U of A's defender recovers the ball at ASU's 22-yard line :(
And you know the end result. U of A scores a field goal making it 20-17 with seconds left in the 4th qtr. Game is over. Depressing. No matter what, one of the best games I've been to. And I'm still a Sun Devil's fan!!!
Btw, ASU's defense was ranked second in the Pac-10, which kept the Sun Devils somewhat alive this year. Until next year...
GO DEVILS!
No comments:
Post a Comment