Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekend getaway to the great L.A.

A former roommate of mine, Julie Snow, got married over the weekend in L.A. and I really wanted to go to her reception so I invited my Mom and she tagged along with me. My Dad was kind enough to give me a pass so I could fly for free. We left early Saturday morning on the first flight out.

While at the Phoenix airport, my Mom and I were at the gate waiting to board and JOHNJAY VAN ES, 104.7 KISS FM's morning radio show DJ, sat in front of us!!! I leaned over to my Mom and said, "That's Johnjay!" I wanted to talk to him SO BAD! I think he's so cool and I listen to his show every morning, but I was too nervous. My Mom finally talked me into talking to him so I walked up to him right before we boarded and touched his arm and said, "Are you Johnjay?" And he turned and looked at me surprisingly and said, "Yeesss..." I felt like a dork, who touches someone's arm to get their attention? ME!

He was so cool and down to earth. He talked to us and thanked us for listening to his show. He boarded before we did and when my Mom and I got on the plane, he was sitting towards the front in an aisle seat and he called us by our names and talked to us again! AND THEN, when we landed in L.A. he got off the plane before us and by the time we got off, he was long gone. I wanted a picture with him, but I totally lost that chance.

So we're walking through the airport and we hear, "Lindsay! Jamie!" and it's JOHNJAY!!! He remembered our names! We were impressed! He literally walked out of the men's bathroom right as we walked by the restrooms and talked to us AGAIN! He was so freaking cool! I've wanted to meet him for a long time and was even going to go to the Jonas Brother's Kickball tournament the radio show was hosting a few weeks ago JUST to see him, and I ended up not going to that, and then I randomly run into him at the airport and he happens to be on the SAME FLIGHT as me! HOW COOL IS THAT?! We walked and talked together all the way to the baggage claim area and I finally asked him if we could get a picture and he said "OF COURSE!"
He went to L.A. to help his sister move to Phoenix and she was already at the airport to pick him up. He told us to come meet his sister so we walked with him to her car and he introduced us to her. And his sister was kind enough to get out of the car and take our picture with him, even though she had her kids in the car. It was a big deal! Even my Mom was impressed with the way he acted. Definitely the highlight and a great start to our trip!!!
We had a BLAST while we were there. My Mom and I laughed our heads off and just enjoyed ourselves. We went shopping, ate, cruised around L.A., went to Julie's reception, shopped some more, and hung out at the hotel. It was fun to have some one on one time with my Mom. She's pretty hi-hootin-larious and very easy to travel with! And the California weather was MORE than perfect which made it an even better trip.
YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE HOUSE THAT HOSTED JULIE'S RECEPTION!!! I'm talking multi-million dollar homes, as my Mom would say. It was in a city called Canyon Country, which is about 40 miles north of L.A. The mountains were gorgeous and there was a lot of greenery! My Mom and I both thought the house was weirdly decorated, but the structure of the home and the yard was INCREDIBLE! Julie looked so pretty and so happy. She was an awesome roommate and I'm glad I know her!
Mr. & Mrs. Philip & Julie Field!

A fun fact about Julie and I is that her Mom and my Dad grew up together in Tempe, AZ. Her Mom is a little older than my Dad, but my grandparents know her grandparents, AND Julie's Mom dated my Uncle Kerry who ended up marrying my Aunt Karrilyn, which is my Dad's oldest sister!! We didn't know any of this until AFTER we were roommates. Seriously, small world!
Saw this hat at H&M and thought it was so cute, but I was told I don't look good in hats...MOM!
So many good stories I could share, but I won't :) The best part about visiting L.A. is my Mom's driving. She's a pretty good California driver, but when the Californians brake, my Mom thinks that means speed up to the braking car!!! OOOHHHH good times! It was a great weekend!

5 comments:

cassie said...

i am terrified of mom's california driving. i don't know what it is about that state that makes her mind say "floor it" when she sees brake lights but i've seen my life flash before my eyes one too many times.

i'm jealous you met johnjay. you're welcome for making you listen to them on the way to work during tax season :)

WHY again didn't i come?!?! guess we'll ALL have to go again (and maybe we can bring kell next time- for a real girls trip)

glad you had fun! novel is over.

McRae Family said...

It is a small world! I think my mom knew your aunt back in the days in Tempe...crazy. At least I think it was your aunt, do you remember?

Jamie said...

Lins! That was too fun. We need to do that every so often. And I have to defend myself. I'm a great driver! But I hate LA traffic. And you forgot to mention the imbeciles we saw at the airport. Seriously what were those bruises on her back?

Rachel said...

Don't you love mothers intuition! If you wouldn't have listened to your mom then you wouldn't have gotten to take a picture of that great guy whoever he is.....maybe your future husband!!?? I love hearing about your guys fun life!

~ Natalie ~ said...

Wow Johnjay is pretty cute for a radio host. most of them are not attractive, which is why they are in the radio business and not the television business. ;)

I was laughing so hard when you said that both you and your mom thought the house was decorated weird, but the stucture was great :) you guys are hilarious!