Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, December 12, 2008

RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY...

It POURED like cats and dogs island-wide from midnight last night until about 11:00 am this morning. The rain woke me up about 5 am. Laie received OVER 2 FEET OF WATER alone!! The news said the island was receiving about 1-2 inches per hour and it rained non-stop for about 11 hours. I have never seen this kind of weather before. We received more rain today than AZ gets in ONE YEAR!

I had a final this morning and the roads were flooded and blocked off and I didn't know how to get to campus. Sumbel, my pregnant roommate, and I parked our car on a street that wasn't flooded, took our shoes off, rolled up our pant legs, and started walking. The water came up to my hips, and it surpassed Sumbel's pregnant belly. It was cold, wet, still raining, and ridiculous. I received no word from BYUH or my teachers saying finals were cancelled or that the university was closed, so I walked through the water like a pioneer. It took about 15 minutes for the two of us to get to "dry" ground, meaning we weren't waist deep in water. Everything was wet.

We made it, and we were troopers! Rain didn't stop us from taking finals, no siree!! But when I got in the testing center, I froze my little buns off. What was I thinking?! I didn't do so hot on my final, plus I was irritated and cold, so that didn't help. Then about 30 min after I took my 2 1/2 hour test, my teacher, of the final I just took, so kindly emails the class and let us know he is extending the final due to weather conditions. It was 1 PM when he emailed that. WELL, IF I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT, I WOULDN'T HAVE WALKED IN WAIST DEEP WATER LIKE A MAD WOMAN! Maybe he could have emailed us 5 hours earlier when the streets were already flooded! HELLO!!!

The picture above doesn't do us justice. You can't tell, but we are soaked. And the rain got inside my backpack, which got my books wet that I was going to sell back to the bookstore for money. Lame. Before I marched in the water, I called my Dad and asked him what I should do. He said, "You're just going to have to stick it out and walk through the water. But whatever shoes you're wearing are going to get trashed!" So I walked barefoot :)

Oh, and the worst part? The university finally sends out a school bulletin by email telling us not to play or wade in the water because the sewers are backed up and the water is unclean. Great, so not only am I wet and cold, I have FECES all over me. Nice. I really am not complaining. I'm actually laughing while posting this and Sumbel and I laughed while we walked through the water! My Dad said this is definitely a day I won't forget, and he's right. Walking through 3+ feet of water just to take an accounting final my last semester of college. Determination is my name.

They say it's supposed to rain again tomorrow, but not like it did today. "Hopefully". My graduation dinner where friends and family are invited was tonight, but it got cancelled because of the rain. They rescheduled it for tomorrow night. I hope it doesn't rain and I hope I can graduate Saturday!

I'll let you know when we go underwater :P

3 comments:

dani said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is crazy!! There's is no way I would have done that. That's dedication right there. haha Seriously, crazy. And you preggo roommate! Wow.

d.jo said...

The price you'll pay for a college degree. : ) That's AWESOME. You are a pioneer, Lindsay! That's an awesome story to tell your children someday when they're going to want to give up and quit college!

Winter said...

You're braver than me...and taller lol I might have gone under!!!