It was Thursday, March 29, 2012. I was 7 weeks - 2 days pregnant and our parents didn't even know yet. My diet for the last 3 weeks consisted of jello, yogurt, Popsicle's, and juice, but I insisted on getting Subway for lunch that day because I was hungry and I wanted to eat something that was filling and nutritional no matter how much I couldn't eat.
It was starting to get warm, I was tired, and looking forward to that cold cut combo I thoroughly enjoyed before I was pregnant. I ordered my sub and couldn't wait to take a bite. I handed the cashier my debit card and she said "Cash only!"
- Side Note: If you know me, I never have cash on hand. Ever. They invented the debit card just for me. -
I told her I didn't have cash and she told me their debit/credit card machine was down and they had two signs up that said "CASH ONLY", but I apparently missed the 8 1/2 X 11 signs taped to the entrance door and window in front of the sub making station.
I told the cashier I was sorry, but I couldn't pay for the sub and she just stared at me. I started to walk away and the lady next in line said, "I'll pay for her..." as she was continuing to tell the Subway worker what kind of vegetables she wanted.
I was immediately overwhelmed with gratitude and thanked her, but I told her that it wasn't necessary and I would just go somewhere else to eat. She insisted and told me it was only a $4 sub and she wanted to pay for it. I thanked her so many times; tears filled my eyes. I wanted to say, "It may just be a $4 sub, but I'm 7 weeks pregnant and get waves of nausea and I don't even know how much of this $4 sub I can eat." But I didn't. All I could say was "thank you". She paid for our subs and told me to have a good day as she left the store. I sat in a booth and smiled while I ate only half of my sub.
1 Nephi 1:20 says: “But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” In the words of Apostle David A. Bednar, "I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence."
That sweet lady will never know how much it meant to me that she paid for my sub. A simple act of kindness can go a long way. I can only hope that I can be in tune with the spirit and help others who are in need, even if I don't know how much it affected their life. Pay it forward!


3 comments:
Thank you for sharing this story!! Such a simple act of kindness but it's just the reminder I needed to be a better person!!
It's important for all of us to do simple random acts of kindness. I was having trouble one time getting into a drive through line because I was entering another way. I was in a hurry that day and thought I was not going to be able to eat if I did not get in line in time. A man let me in so when I got to the window I told the cashier I wanted to pay for the car behind mine's meal too. I have no idea what his reaction was. I just wanted to do it. Sometimes one simple act can make a small difference to a person.
I remember when that happened and you told me about it and how she made your day. It's so cool she did that for you!
Post a Comment