This is a sad post for me =( My cute little Yorkie-Poo lost his "puppy-hood" on Friday and he didn't know what he was in for. Mike took him to the appointment before I left for work and Bauer LOVES to ride in the car so he was pretty excited until they got to the clinic.
He turned 2 in January and I will have owned him for 2 years in April. Why did I wait so long to get him neutered?? Well, the vet wanted $400 which was too expensive and then I wanted to breed him, but after I found out how much work that is I nixed both of them and let him be. And then he started marking - EVERYTHING - and we couldn't take it anymore. My Dad found a Spay Neuter Clinic in Chandler, not too far from our home, which I called and booked an appointment. $74 for the surgery and pain meds (http://www.spayaz.com).
I picked Bauer up and was nervous to see him. He's the first dog I've ever owned so this was new to me. There were a few people in line ahead of me and when they got their dogs they were shaking so bad and one was running into walls. That just made me MORE nervous. After I paid they brought him to me and I don't think he recognized me at first. All he wanted was to be held and I couldn't do that and drive a stick shift. He laid on the passenger seat the whole way home and whined if I wasn't touching him. Broke my heart.
His eyes were rolling back and he couldn't keep his tongue in his mouth. It was so sad!! The tip of his tongue and his nose were dry. They told me the anesthesia wouldn't wear off until the next morning and to not be alarmed if he moaned or whined during the night. It didn't mean he was in pain, it was just a sign that the anesthetic was wearing off.
We got home and I literally held him for hours. It was the most calm I've ever seen him and I loved holding him. If I wasn't holding him he had to be right next to me otherwise he'd whine. Cassie came over and brought me Taco Bell and thought his whine was cute :o) In a weird way I felt like a mother to him.
The first night was rough. Poor thing couldn't sleep and neither did I. And of course he wouldn't stop licking his incision so I took him to PetSmart the next day and got him an Elizabethan Collar. He definitely doesn't have a good perception with this thing on and has ran into a few walls and chairs but we're good!
I love my pup! So glad I got a dog even after all the money, time, and energy I've spent with him. He's taught me more responsibility and patience than I had before and he loves Mike too!


1 comment:
Poor little puppy!
Post a Comment