Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Siblings; A Gift From God

I have the BEST siblings in the world. THE BEST. We fought like cats and dogs growing up...sometimes still do...but no matter what I've said or done to them I love them beyond words and I would be devastated if anything happened to them.

"I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at."
- Maya Angelou

This past week, I've appreciated my siblings more than ever. It's kind of been an emotional week for me because Cassie's last day at the office was Friday. When I left for BYU Hawaii, my boss was lost because I pretty much ran the office. A few months after I left for school, he called me one day and said he needed to hire someone and asked if I had any friends that were looking for a job. I immediately thought of Cassie and ran it past him. A few days later, she was hired and began working for him in October of 2007. I left for BYU Hawaii in April of 2007 and returned to my job in January of 2009 after I graduated in December of 2008. Cassie was still working for my boss after I returned to work, so I've had the pleasure of working with her for the past 18 months.

After I bought a house in August of last year and moved out of my parents house in September, I didn't see my parents or siblings as often, but I was able to see Cassie on a daily basis because we worked together. No matter how bossy I was or how mad she made me, I still appreciated how much I got to see her. I've known for awhile that she was leaving, and I didn't think it would hit me as hard as it did. My co-worker, Jan, came in my office the other day and said, "How do you feel about Cassie leaving?" and I immediately began to cry. I don't know why I cried, I just did. It's not the end of the world, it's just change and change is good but change can be sad too.

"Siblings-the definition that comprises love, strife, competition and forever friends."
- Byron Pulsifer


The pictures above are pictures we took at work last week with Cassie's Mac computer. See how much fun I'm going to miss?!?! I will miss you Cassie!! You're a beautiful girl and I'm so happy with the choices you are making and where you are heading. Your personality is CONTAGIOUS and you deserve the best that life has to offer. LOVE YOU TONS!!!

Now my brother Connor?! WHAT AN AWESOME ALMOST 17 YEAR OLD STUD HE IS!!! I called him up Monday of last week and asked him if he would come over and help me with yard work. He DIDN'T hesitate for one second. We set up a time, he was on time, and did an awesome job. Okay...okay...I may have bribed him with $20 and a meal at Sonic, BUT IT WORKED!! And he deserved it :)

"Sometimes being a brother is even better then being a superhero."
- Marc Brown

A few days later, I came home from work and was pulling a few weeds out front and saw THIS by my front door:
ONE MILLION "cotton bugs", more like miniature beetles, crawling all over the place and through my front door inside my house!!!! EEEKK!! AAGGGHHH!!! Are you kidding me?! I already have to put up with crickets multiplying and replenishing the earth in my backyard and now cotton bugs?! GRRRROOOSSSSSS! I immediately called my Dad...he was at work...I called my home teacher!...he didn't answer...then I called Connor and HE ANSWERED! I asked him to drop what he was doing and to come over ASAP. He asked what was wrong and I told him bugs were invading my home! He had just gotten out of the pool and came over within 10 minutes. In the meantime, I ran to HOME DEPOT and got bug poisoning. Connor sprayed my WHOLE front yard, drenched it, and we were both coughing from the strong bug spray smell. I of course took him to Taco Bell afterward :)
And then there's Kelly...we've definitely had our moments together and she and I have never been close but I still love her the same. She and I spent some time together this past week shopping for Cassie's bridal shower and wedding gift and it was a lot of fun. We set aside our differences and enjoyed each others company. At least I did anyway :) It's times like these that I'm grateful for the siblings that I have.

I'm grateful...very very grateful!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OH Lins! I am going to miss working with you too!! Good thing I'm just right down the road so we can still do lunch and stuff! And you're right. We ALL have the best siblings. Love you!!

d.jo said...

I love the quotes you have about siblings. Those are so awesome & so true.

I also think it's hilarious that you refer to the nuissance of bugs "multiplying and replenishing". HAHAHAHAHAHA!

d.jo said...

Your home teacher needs to get his act together, btw. Totally kidding :)

Jamie said...

Can I just say that I have the most awesome children? And you guys are close . . . . even through the disagreements. Love you all.

McRae Family said...

Its funny how much we fight with our siblings when we're little and then all of a sudden we grow up and become so close to them and can't live without them. You guys seem extra close, I love it!