Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I should have been a lawyer...

Dear World...You are filled with crazy people!

We have a client who is extremely difficult and I've been wanting him to leave for months. I warned everyone in the office that something will eventually happen and sure enough, I WAS RIGHT! Get this...

This "difficult" client owes us money for the preparation of their 2007 & 2008 individual and company tax returns. The total for ALL 4 returns came to $825.00. Cheap as dirt. The client's returns have been electronically filed and everything. During tax season, the client would show up many times WITHOUT an appointment and expected to be seen, requested 2 copies of each tax return, AND asked for a reduction in fees, which we granted. $175.00 right off the bill.

It is now July and the client owes us $675.00. They have only made one payment of $150.00, which was paid in April of this year. Guess what? We're not bill collectors, so a letter was sent to the client explaining that if we did not receive a payment in full by August 8th, their invoice will be sent to a collection agency.

Well, well, well...all of a sudden the client is ALIVE! Boy did we get a "well educated" letter. I laughed so hard when I read it, and then the lawyer side of me came out.

A portion of it read:

"Please be advised should you proceed with collections and ruin my credit I will sue you. The 2007 and 2008 returns is too much for the minimal amount of work. We can settle this now and you can get your money. Remember I also have legal remedies should you pull the trigger. I'll make you an offer on what I'm willing to pay: $350.00. This amount is what H & R Block would charge me and this is the amount you will get if you decide to use collections. I have a lawyer."

Where's Judge Judy when you need her?

Our reply:

"Dear Client: We appreciate your offer, but respectfully decline. When you picked up your tax returns, you were given a copy of each return we prepared for you based upon the documentation that was provided at the time of your appointment. You were also given an invoice for our services rendered. If you did not agree with our fee, you should have brought it to our attention at that time. Your original documentation would have been returned to you. A discount was requested for the preparation of your 2008 return, which was granted. If we do not receive a payment in full by August 8th, we will continue to proceed with collections."

Funny thing is, the client knew what the fees were before they came to pick up their tax returns, hence asking for a discount! Where do these people come from? I do not know.

At this point, it's not about the money. You don't get to benefit from a service we provided you at a lower cost and then turn around and tell us how much you think we should charge you.

And what does my Dad say to all of this? "You should have been a lawyer Lindsay, you missed your calling," and to this I replied, "I know."

3 comments:

cassie said...

Really, what WOULD we blog about without these crazy clients?!

Sherri Romney said...

Wow. Glad I don't have YOUR job...

M + L said...

Hahahaha! It's not the job. I love that part. It's dealing with crazy clients :)