Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, October 19, 2008

This past week...

I felt like this past week was one of the most difficult weeks I've had in awhile. I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster. My friends, Debra Jo & Mitch, came to visit me and I was so happy they made it out to Hawaii before I graduated. Before they came, I completed as many homework assignments as I could, in advance, so I wouldn't have loads of homework to do while they were here. I ended up doing a few assignments and studying for midterms while they were here anyway, and I felt so bad because I really wanted to hang out with them more. I am taking 7 classes, 18 credits, and I have to stay on top of everything or I'll get way behind. Luckily, I don't have a job so I have the time to study for all these classes. The accounting lab is my new home.

Then the worst of the worst happened...I told Debra Jo not to rent a car because I have one and I was trying to save them some money, and then my car broke down. I wrote about that in previous posts, so I won't go into any detail, but it made my week even worse. I called my Dad and asked for his help, Mitch was working on my car while I took a D & C midterm at school, Debra Jo was at the beach, and then I talked to my Mom and I broke down. I was crying because I felt so bad that my car wasn't working. I didn't have the money to fix it, my friends were in town and I felt like I ruined their vacation, it had been raining off and on the whole time they were here, etc. After a night and whole morning of car headache problems, a $2.03 part fixed it. Go figure. Thankfully, it was nothing major. I just wish it didn't happen when my friends were visiting. Thank you so much Debra Jo & Mitch for being so patient! And THANK YOU Mitch for all your hard work on my car.

And then I had a MAJOR accounting midterm that I took Friday night after I dropped them off at the airport. I fasted for it, I was that nervous about it. I feel I did "ok" and hope my study efforts paid off. I was so nervous about it because I have taken this teacher before and have never done well in his class. His name is Brother Tew and he's pretty tough when it comes to exams. Half the time, he doesn't give partial credit, even when you're on the right track, so you must know your stuff or your screwed. Sorry for the French. There is no other word that puts it bluntly. I prayed to my Heavenly Father for comfort. When I was studying, my heart was beating so fast, I couldn't concentrate. It was awful. My nerves were shot and I couldn't focus. But when I went in to take the test, I wasn't nervous. So in the end, I did the best I could, with the time I had, and I hope I got a passing grade.
After all this, Foodfest was Saturday night. I was looking forward to Foodfest. It's an event held each Fall and Winter Semester at BYUH where all of the different clubs get together and make food from their country. The community is invited too so a lot of people showed up. I bought food at the Korean Club (BBQ plate with meat, rice, and kimche) and the Filipino Club (Limpa? Sp?). It was really good. I went with Natalie and Alyssa. We had a good time.
Before I went to Foodfest, I had done some laundry with my roommate, Sumbel, and washed my sheets and I asked her to just put my stuff on top of my bed when the dryer was done. Instead, I came home at 12:30 AM to find she had folded my clothes and made my bed for me! I was shocked. It is the best feeling in the world to come home from a long day and lay on nice clean sheets. Best part about this is, my roommate is pregnant and she served me! Yes, she's pregnant...and married! Duh! I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that has ever attended a BYU school that has a pregnant roommate living with me AND that Housing knows about it. Ha! Sumbel is Pakistani and her husband Tim is American. They met last July in Hawaii, married in November, and he left for Iraq 2 weeks after they got married. He is serving in the U.S. Army. They are having a boy and she's due January 16th. So here she is, 6 months pregnant, making my bed for me which is a big task in itself for me because my mattress is hard to get to. I loved her for it and she totally made my day.

3 comments:

cassie said...

Aw, I'm sorry you had a bad week. If it makes you feel better, I almost didn't get to take a midterm (which if you really care to hear that story call me) and I missed 2 classes last week because I didn't wake up and mom thought I was on fall break with Connor, which I was not. I hope you have a better, stress-free week this week :) Love ya! Call if you need to.

Deanna said...

It looks like you have great friend to keep you going even when times are tough.

d.jo said...

Hey, Lins! I wish you would quit apologizing about last week. We had a fabulous time, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. And the car probs were no big deal--I already told you it was an investment ($2.03 saved us $203 which I need to pay for my teeth haha). I wasn't necessarily a ball of sunshine myself on Wednesday AM, because I had a headache from my tooth...actually at my appt. Mon. the dentist informed me that the infection was eating away at my jaw bone & not my teeth. So, the good news is that I don't have to pay for a root canal. The bad news is that I have a dip in my bone between two of my teeth & had to pay $60 for the doc to tell me I'm fine, and that they'll do a "root cleaning" at my next 6th month clean, which I'll have to be numbed for b/c it's painful. But really sure, there was rain, but there's always rain on tropical islands, and sure there was a toothache, but I always have dental problems & when the pain goes away it's like I forget it ever happened. And lastly, sure there were car problems, but we had fun driving to Kaehohnale or whatever it was called. : ) Just remember the good times, Lins, because they outnumber the little glitches. It's no big deal.

I couldn't believe you were fasting on Fri--you did a great job resisting when we were tempting you with lunch & shave ice! That alone should get you an A--you were showing dedication to your cause. Give me your teacher's email & I'll make sure you pass. : )

Love ya!