Debra Jo and her husband, Mitch of 4 years, flew in on Sunday to visit me and the beautiful island of Hawai'i for a whole week! I picked them up at the airport and we headed straight to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I printed the directions from mapquest and it gave us a little detour, but we finally got there :) I've been to the Pearl Harbor Monument 3 times now, and it never gets old. I have a tremendous amount of respect and gratitude for the men that lost their lives that day. I love the freedom we have in the United States.-Riding the ferry to the Memorial-
-Names of the men who died December 7, 1941-
-Debra Jo, Mitch, Lins at Pearl Harbor Memorial-
Monday, Debra Jo & Mitch went to the beach in the morning while I had class. Then we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) for the rest of the day. We were there from 12 noon until 9 PM. Around 2 o'clock it started raining, and it rained for 5 hours straight. We got soaked and mine and Debra Jo's hair were ridiculous! I felt so bad that it rained on us. This is their first experience here in Hawaii and at the PCC and I wanted it to be such a fun day, but we still seemed to have a lot of fun despite the rain. The PCC has several villages that you walk around to and learn about different cultures. The villages we visited were Samoa, Aotearoa (New Zealand), Fiji, Hawaii, Tahiti, and Tonga.-Wet Dogs-
-Samoan Canoe Dancers-
We went to a Luau at the PCC. The Luau is SO MUCH FUN! If you have never been to the PCC, MAKE THE TRIP!! A little pricey, but WORTH the $$$. The host of the Luau is Uncle Benny. He is well known in Laie and I think he is incredibly talented. He played the ukulele behind his head and with his teeth plucking the strings. The guy is amazing!-The pig cooked at the Luau- (We didn't eat this pig. It was cooked for the next day.)
-Hawaiian Chief's Family-
-The food! It was GOOD! Anything I don't have to cook is good!-
-Tiki Girls-
After the Luau, we went to the Night Show where there is more cultural dancing and a fire show. The individuals, from the different islands, that perform at the PCC are BYU Hawaii students that are sponsored through funds from the PCC. These students work for almost nothing in order to pay for their tuition. It's really neat.Today, we went to see the sunset @ Sunset Beach, but this is all we saw...
There were big heavy clouds all over the sky from the rain, so no sunset today. We are going to try again tomorrow. Notice how big the waves are. You should hear them crashing against the shore. It's surf season, so there are tons of surfers in the water. It's fun to watch. We ate Thai food at a place called Haliewa Eats for dinner after attempting to see the sunset. Haliewa is a small touristy town, which is about a 40 minute drive from where I live.-Our 1st attempt at a piggy back ride. Hi-hootin-larious!-
-The 3 of us at Sunset Beach, I love this picture-
After dinner, I went to start my car and NO LUCK! Didn't this just happen to me on my birthday 6 weeks ago? Alternator is new, battery is new, so it's the.....STARTER! Luckily, Mitch knew how to get the car started. I DID NOT want to pay for another tow. I sat in the driver's seat, turned the key to the "on position", put the car in neutral, and Debra Jo & Mitch pushed me backwards out of my parking space. I was able to turn the wheel because I had the key in the "on position", so the wheel didn't lock on me. I turned the car straight after backing out, kept my foot on the clutch, and they pushed me forward. I gave it a little gas, and it started! I didn't even turn my key! Mitch said you can only do that with a manual. I guess the term you say is "push start". We drove to Checker Auto and bought a starter. Mitch is going to install it for me tomorrow morning. I hope I marry someone who is as handy as Mitch. I'm NEVER going to buy a used car again.

6 comments:
Ok, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT BLACK SHIRT? That outfit is SO freaking cute and that picture of the three of you is adorable. Glad you're having fun with them :)
You guys look awesome in the pictures! I'm so glad they made it out there to see you before you graduated. I also wish you weren't so busy with school so that you could spend more time with them. And THANK YOU MITCH for helping Lindsay with her car. Have fun Lins, Mitch and D-Jo.
What WERE those blue things on your plate??? Blue dinner rolls is my best guess... ;) Tell Debra Jo hi from me and you guys enjoy your time together. I wish I had the money to come visit you !!!! :( Someday we'll make a trip back.
Sounds like you guys have had a blast, despite the rain... You guys look so super cute in your pics! =] I totally wish I could make a trip out there, I've never been! I'm so jealous of you!!!
Car problems are things you have to deal with when you decide to attend school sooo farrr away from your father. Wish I could be there to help out in person. At least Mitch was there to help, thank goodness.
Hey, we look GOOD in those pictures! You look the best, though, and I must say, my hair looked best on the 1st day I arrived! haha! I agree with Cassie, your black blouse is way cute.
I forgot to tell you: Do you remember the Polish couple who sat next to us at the PCC? We saw them again at the Dole plantation & I walked up to them to say "Hi, do you remember us from the Polynesian Cultural Center?!" and all he said back to me was "No thank you, no thank you!" HAHAHAHA Obviously we didn't make that big of an impact! Brandi, Rob, & Logan would remember the 3 of us, though. : )
Post a Comment