Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, March 7, 2008

Entrepreneurship...here I come!

Me, Sister Wheelwright, President Wheelwright, Aushra, Natalie

BYU Hawaii holds an Entrepreneurship Conference each Winter semester. Classes were canceled Thursday and Friday so business students could attend the lectures. Entrepreneurs, most of them if not all are LDS, flew from all over the world on their on dime to talk to us about how they became an entrepreneur and to give us advice about business. It's a really neat thing and I've attended every session so far.

Entrepreneur - Gayelyn Bates

Thursday night, I attended a dinner banquet and the Dean of the School of Business spoke along with President Wheelwright (BYU Hawaii President). Only a few students were allowed to attend this special dinner. The entrepreneurs sat at different tables so students could mix and mingle with them to ask questions and get to know them better. I sat at a table with Gayelyn Bates, and her husband Arlo. They actually lived in AZ for quite some time and her two children graduated from Mountain View in Mesa. She has been in the business world since the early 80's and was making 6 figures by the time she was 23 years old! It's amazing how these individuals came up with an idea, took risks, worked hard, and are what they are today because of it. I've always wanted to have my own business one day, so this conference was really beneficial for me.

No comments: