
I needed an oil change and the closest car shop is about 45 minutes away. I never had time to drive into town so I decided to do it myself. I went to the NAPA Auto Care store (in Laie - right next to Foodland) and bought 4 quarts of 10-W-40 oil, an oil filter, and a disposable box. Hawaii is the ONLY state that allows you to throw car oil in the garbage.
I asked my friend, Mitchell, if he could help me and he told me he had the tools necessary and would teach me how to do it. I went to his house yesterday and I drove up on these two plastic ramps to raise my car so I could crawl underneath. He and I both went underneath the car, he showed me where the oil box was, and said 'Go for it'. He acted like I knew what I was doing. I kept saying, "Watch me," because I was afraid I would do something wrong. He thought it was funny. I did great until I unscrewed the oil filter. He forgot to tell me that some oil would spill out from it, since the oil runs through the filter, and when I took it off oil poured everywhere. Oil got all over my shirt and it was running down my armpit! HA HA! I hurried and pulled the box underneath it so it would drain into the box. I finished and put new oil in.
I asked my friend, Mitchell, if he could help me and he told me he had the tools necessary and would teach me how to do it. I went to his house yesterday and I drove up on these two plastic ramps to raise my car so I could crawl underneath. He and I both went underneath the car, he showed me where the oil box was, and said 'Go for it'. He acted like I knew what I was doing. I kept saying, "Watch me," because I was afraid I would do something wrong. He thought it was funny. I did great until I unscrewed the oil filter. He forgot to tell me that some oil would spill out from it, since the oil runs through the filter, and when I took it off oil poured everywhere. Oil got all over my shirt and it was running down my armpit! HA HA! I hurried and pulled the box underneath it so it would drain into the box. I finished and put new oil in.
It was a good learning experience for me and I totally had fun doing it! Who needs mechanics?!?

2 comments:
Looks like fun. I loved learning how to change oil, but I cant remember anymore.
Good job Lindsay!!
Post a Comment